Friday, May 5, 2017

Book Review: Destroy by Tricia Mingerink


Purchase HERE

Title: Destroy

Author: Tricia Mingerink

Series: The Blades of Acktar #3.5

Genre: Fantasy

Audience: New Adult

ABOUT THE BOOK

Before the war, before the Blades, before the Leader…

There was a boy and a scullery maid and a secret shame.
One moonlit night of blood and knives destroyed their country and their lives forever.

The Leader failed to die, but will he also fail to lead?

~ MY REVIEW ~
**4 stars**

I am so glad I decided to purchase Destroy by Tricia Mingerink! After reading the final book in THE BLADES OF ACKTAR series, I was kind of sad and wondering how to say goodbye to this fantastic Christian fantasy series ... Well, turns out, I didn't have to! Not quite yet! *winks*

In this novella (which should be read after the third book, Defy), we meet Keevn and Addie as POV characters and see the whole story from their eyes ... starting when Keevn was almost killed in the dead of night by a Blade.

I wasn't sure how I'd feel about reading Keevn's story. But I loved it! I think, partly, because Tricia Mingerink just has a way of writing that draws me in! And now I so love Acktar and its people that I want to read every story about them that I can! *grins* But yes, Keevn. I actually did feel for him. My heart ached for him. I came to like him. And, of course, sweet and talkative and strong Addie. I loved seeing how she came into the whole story! Wow! *hugs them both*
Keevn definitely wasn't a perfect character, but that's good. Tricia Mingerink showed his pain and understandable reasons for his actions, while still staying true to his character that we saw in Defy and Deliver. I was impressed by this tale, and touched.

As I mentioned above, Destroy starts, chronologically, before Dare and continues to Defy's end ... and a little beyond that. And it's all seen through Keevn and Addie's eyes. I loved getting this new perspective on the war and all that! The coronation. The arrival of a certain prince. ^_^ (I only wish it would have showed a certain wedding!)

Anyway, it was well-written, interesting, and thought-provoking. I really liked the faith theme; how forgiveness and mercy were woven into the story. It was challenging but heart-touching. I loved seeing more of characters we didn't get a chance to truly meet before. All the backstory ... <3 Even though a good portion was grim and sad, I did love seeing little Renna and Brandi, and watching the happenings set up for Dare's beginning.

So. I understand Keevn better. I got to officially meet Addie. I even laughed a couple times! And talk about character growth! My fellow fans of THE BLADES OF ACKTAR, this #3.5 novella is not to be missed! *smiles*

1 comment: